clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Michigan Tech vs. St. Cloud State final score: St. Cloud State 3 Michigan Tech 2 (Overtime)

Matt Christians

Michigan Tech senior captain Tanner Kero opened the scoring at 7:18 of the first period when he hooked up on a give-and-go with linemate Alex Petan. Petan put the first puck on net and was stopped by St. Cloud State goalie Charlie Lindgren, but Kero followed up on the rebound and swatted a backhand past Lindgren for the goal.

Michigan Tech outshot St. Cloud State 15-8 in the period to build that 1-0 advantage, but it was nearly for naught when a Michigan Tech defender tripped at his own blue line giving St. Cloud State a prime scoring chance late in the period. St. Cloud State's Patrick Russell had what appeared to be a wide open net, but Michigan Tech goalie Jamie Russell kept his right leg extended to make a great save.

But Michigan Tech took a penalty on that play and St. Cloud State would capitalize early in the second period off that carryover power play when David Morley made a nice cross ice pass to Kalle Kossila, who finished off the play with a one-timer along the ice.

St. Cloud State appeared to take a 2-1 lead in the final minute of the second period, when Blake Winiecki fired a quick wrist shot past Phillips, but after video review, officials determined St. Cloud State's Jonny Brodzinski was offside on the play and the goal was disallowed. That sent both teams to the locker room after two periods tied at one apiece.

CJ Eick put Michigan Tech ahead in the third period when teammate Joel L'Esperance brought the puck into the zone, then made a spinning pass to Eick on the backdoor for a tap-in goal.

It looked like Michigan Tech would hang on for the 2-1 victory. St. Cloud State pulled their goalie in the final two minutes and Michigan Tech had two opportunities to shoot at an empty-net, but missed both. That left the door open for St. Cloud State and with 37 seconds left in regulation, Jonny Brodzinski put in a rebound from the side of the net to put the game into overtime.

In overtime, St. Cloud State picked up a two-on-one when a Michigan Tech defenseman tripped at his own blue line. Joe Rehkamp brought the puck in and fed it to freshman Judd Peterson who finished off the winner.

St. Cloud State advances to tomorrow's regional championship to face the winner of North Dakota and Quinnipiac.