North Andover, Mass. -- Mike Collins, playing in his first game since November 15, scored the game winner midway through the third period as Merrimack won its first Hockey East game of the season on Friday evening at Lawler Arena.
Brian Christie, another Warrior who has been injured much of the year, scored his first goal of the season in just his third game to tie the score at two 4:27 into the third period.
Defenseman Brendan Ellis, yet another Warrior who has missed significant time with injury this season, assisted on both third period goals. Merrimack junior goaltender Rasmus Tirronen stopped 17 of the 19 shots he faced.
Freshman defenseman Jonathan Lashyn scored a first period tally just 2:34 into the contest to give Merrimack a 1-0 lead. Quinn Gould and Clayton Jardine assisted on the goal.
Boston Bruins draft pick Matt Grzelcyk and freshman Tommy Kelley scored the two goals for Boston University. Matt O'Connor made 27 saves while giving up three goals. The loss snapped a four game unbeaten streak for Boston University (7-7-1).
Merrimack (4-9-1) will travel to Agganis Arena to take on the Terriers in the series finale Saturday night.
- Hockey East: Northeastern Hosts Providence, Boston College Looks to Bounce Back Against UNH
- No. 9 Boston College set to host no. 18 New Hampshire
- Providence at Northeastern Line Combinations
- Maine Hockey Recruit Joe Widmar to Bring Strong Offensive Play to Black Bears
- ECAC Hockey: Quinnipiac Faces Tough Test With Road Trip to RPI, Union
- Rivals Clarkson and St. Lawrence Prepare for Big Weekend Series in ECAC