Hamden, Conn. -- Jordan Samuels-Thomas has a knack for scoring late goals to burn the University of Maine. The senior from West Hartford, Conn. connected on a goal with 1:03 to play to give the host Bobcats a 2-1 victory over the Black Bears.
Last season Samuels-Thomas pulled off a similar feat when he scored a goal with 1:26 to play in the season opener in Orono. The final score? 2-1 Quinnipiac.
Maine is still winless on the road, but the Black Bears had some very positive developments to take away from the game. Red Gendron's team outshot Quinnipiac, 30-28, a surprise considering the Bobcats came in to the game averaging nearly twice as many shots on goal as shots against.
Quinnipiac senior Kellen Jones got the scoring started 2:09 into the second period on a line change. Cory Hibbeler and Travis St. Denis assisted on the Edmonton Oilers prospect's 11th goal of the season.
Devin Shore evened the scored at one midway through the second frame when he scored a shorthanded goal. He made a nifty move before sliding the puck through the five-hole of Quinnipiac goaltender Michael Garteig.
Samuels-Thomas' goal came with just over a minute to play in the game when he snuck the puck past the outstretched pad of Maine senior goaltender Martin Ouellette who made 26 saves on the night.
Maine (10-7-2) returns to action next Saturday at Fenway Park against Boston University at 6:30 p.m. Quinnipiac (15-3-4) heads to Harvard for a Tuesday night contest before entertaining Union next Friday in a matchup of the top two teams in the ECAC.
Editor's Note: Matt Dewkett was at the game photographing for SBNation. Check back with our site Saturday morning for a photo gallery from the game. He will also be shooting the two games at Fenway Park this Saturday and next Saturday.
- College Hockey Scores: Friday Night Roundup
- Mariucci Classic: Colgate ties Minnesota 2-2; wins shootout to spoil #1 v. #2
- Naclerio Leads Brown Back for 3-3 Tie with Denver
- American International Comes Back To Defeat Air Force in Overtime
- Mariucci Classic: Ferris State defeats RPI 6-2 to win first semifinal
- UMass-Lowell Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck Misses Second Straight Game with Injury
- Quinnipiac Hockey: Landon Smith Commits to Bobcats
- Around Hockey East: Vermont Continues Hot Play Capturing Catamount Cup
Jeff Cox covers college, junior and high school hockey, NCAA recruiting, NHL Draft prospects and the AHL for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.