Denver, Colo -- Mark Naclerio scored his sixth and seventh goals of the season in the third period to help Brown overcome two one-goal deficits and salvage a 3-3 tie with host Denver University.
Matt Lorito assisted on all three goals and scored the only goal in the shootout that is unofficial. The result will go down in the record books as a tie. Tyler Steel made 24 saves on 27 shots for Brendan Whittet's Bears.
Pioneers defenseman Joey LaLeggia scored a goal and added an assist, both on the power play. Emil Romig and David Makowski scored the other goals for Jim Montgomery's squad. Sam Brittain stopped 40 shots.
The two teams will meet again Saturday night at Magness Arena for the series finale.
- College Hockey Scores: Friday Night Roundup
- American International Comes Back To Defeat Air Force in Overtime
- UMass-Lowell Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck Misses Second Straight Game with Injury
- Mariucci Classic: Ferris State defeats RPI 6-2 to win first semifinal
- Former Denver Recruit Commits to Quinnipiac
Jeff Cox covers college, junior and high school hockey, NCAA recruiting, NHL Draft prospects and the AHL for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.