According to Jasper Kozak of Over the Boards, Colt Conrad has verbally committed to play hockey at Western Michigan University for head coach Andy Murray. The St. Alphonse, Manitoba native played midget hockey for the Pembina Valley Hawks program where he piled up plenty of points.
Conrad is a smaller forward, but very strong on his skates, making it extremely difficult to knock him off the puck. He's a very good stickhandler that excels in one-on-one situations, and has a solid scoring touch. He could stand be a touch faster with his skating, and use his teammates more effectively, but he has the potential to be an exciting scorer at the college level.
Conrad was drafted by the Fargo Force in the sixth round of the 2013 USHL Futures Draft. It appears Conrad will play for Shattuck St. Mary's this season, but he had indicated he had hoped to play in the USHL. Conrad was drafted in the third round of the Western Hockey League (WHL) Bantam Draft back in 2012.
More from Western College Hockey Blog:
- WCHA Recruiting: Goaltender Mantha Commits to Alaska-Anchorage
- Waterloo Blackhawks Defenseman Brandon Montour Commits to UMass-Amherst
- 2014 Citi Frozen Fenway Media Day Coverage
- WCHA Hockey: Former Maine Forward John Parker Transfers to Bemidji State
- Former Providence Backup Goaltender Dylan Wells Transfers to Southern Maine
Jeff Cox is a hockey reporter for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.