Clarkson has picked up a late commitment from Finnish goaltending prospect Ville Runola. The 1993-born prospect played for Turun Palloseura (TPS) in the Finnish Elite League's Junior "A" Division last season.
Committed to Clarkson University! So excited to start there next week! #goldenknights— Ville Runola (@VilleRunola) August 18, 2013
Runola will be one of two freshmen goaltenders on head coach Casey Jones' roster this season. He joins Pittsburgh, Pa. native Steve Perry as rookie goalies for the Golden Knights. Perry played the last three seasons for the Fairbanks Ice Dogs in the NAHL.
Clarkson struggled between the pipes last season with a team save percentage of .893. Rising sophomore Greg Lewis played the majority of minutes with a .898 save percentage. New York Islanders draft pick Cody Rosen, a senior who graduated, struggled and only appeared in seven games. Lewis is definitely returning for his sophomore campaign, but it is unclear if Vancouver native Andrew Hunt, another rising sophomore, is coming back.
More from Western College Hockey Blog:
- College Hockey Recruiting: Goaltender Drew Vogler Commits to Merrimack
- Wisconsin Recruit Christian Dvorak to Sign with London of OHL
- Alabama-Huntsville Hockey Program Grabs Regan Soquila of the Merritt Centennials
- Former Denver Recruit Ray Pigozzi Commits to UMass Hockey Program for This Fall
- RPI Assistant Hockey Coach Nolan Graham Running for Defending the Blue Line Charity
Jeff Cox is a hockey reporter for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.