Second year head coach John Micheletto has picked up a late commitment for his UMass hockey program. Former University of Denver recruit and Chicago Steel forward Ray Pigozzi will be a Minutemen come October.
The Evanston, Ill. native had initially committed to DU, but will now enroll at UMass and play for Micheletto starting this fall. Pigozzi played midget hockey for the Chicago Mission program before joining the Des Moines Buccaneers in the United States Hockey League for two years. He played this past season for the Chicago Steel in the USHL where he tallied eight goals and 26 assists in 53 games.
Pigozzi has some international experience, having played for the US team at the Under-19 World Championships. During the 2011-12 season Pigozzi was named to the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game.
More from Western College Hockey Blog:
- Nebraska-Omaha's Matt White & Preston Hodge dismissed from Mavericks
- Hockey East Recruiting: Alex DeBrincat Commits to UMass-Amherst
- Former Northeastern defenseman Ben Oskroba transfers to UConn
- Maine, UNH to Play Nonconference Home-and-Home Series Starting Next Season
- NTDP Defenseman Charlie McAvoy Commits to Boston University
Jeff Cox is a hockey reporter for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.