The University of Minnesota Duluth triumphed over Western Michigan University on Friday night at Lawson Arena in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Kyle Osterberg put the Bulldogs on the board first from Caleb Herbert (Washington Capitals) and Justin Crandall during a UMD man-advantage, but Sheldon Dries buried a shorthanded goal during the same five minute major penalty just over a minute later.
During the second period, Minnesota Duluth tallied a goal from Tony Cameranesi (Toronto Maple Leafs) and Western Michigan matched with a power play notch from Kenney Morrison and assists from Colton Hargrove (Boston Bruins) and Justin Kovacs. The second period would end just like the first, in a tie.
The third period was a different story, though, as the Bulldogs found three goals all while Aaron Crandall held strong between the posts.
The loss ended an impressive 6-game win streak that coach Andy Murray had his Broncos riding, including a GLI championship win over Michigan Tech. The last team to defeat the Broncos was the Bulldogs back at Amsoil Arena before the midseason break.
1st Period - UMD (8:06) PP Kyle Osterberg from Caleb Herbert and Justin Crandall
1st Period - WMU (9:09) SHG Sheldon Dries
2nd Period - UMD (19:10) Tony Cameranesi from Willie Raskob and Kyle Osterberg
2nd Period - WMU (19:38) PP Kenney Morrison from Colton Hargrove and Justin Kovacs
3rd Period - UMD (4:18) Justin Crandall from Caleb Herbert and Willie Corrin
3rd Period - UMD (15:27) Kyle Osterberg from Tony Cameranesi and Willie Corrin
3rd Period - UMD (17:27) ENG Justin Crandall from Kyle Osterberg
Aaron Crandall (UMD): 6-6-5 = 17 (2 GA) - W
Lukas Hafner (WMU): 8-13-11 = 32 (5 GA) - L
- UMD junior Caleb Herbert played in his 100th game on Friday night.
- With two goals and two assists, both Justin Crandall and Kyle Osterberg finished on top of the scoring list for the night with a total of 4 points.
- The game finished with 62 total minutes of penalties, but both teams were just 1 for 7 on the power play.
- Senior goaltender Aaron Crandall has made eight consecutive starts and ten straight appearances, which are both career bests.
- This game was the first game in the last five outings in which the Bulldogs didn't go over regulation into overtime play.
- Boston College at Providence pregame notes and line charts
- Harvard vs. Princeton pregame line charts
- College Hockey Television Schedule for January 31st/February 1st
- Gophers Hockey: Ben Marshall suspended 1 game & how this impacts Minnesota
- Eye on the Future: Nashville Predators Prospect Chase Balisy, Western Michigan