Minnesota and BTN announced Thursday morning that Saturday's (January 4, 2014) Mariucci Classic game will be aired on the network and online (BTN2Go.com) at 7 p.m. CT.
The game was previously scheduled to be streamed since both the Minnesota Wild and Timberwolves were scheduled to play at the same time on Fox Sports North and FSN+, respectively. It's one of only a few games for the Gophers this season that was scheduled to be untelevised.
Instead, the top-ranked Gophers (12-2-2, 3-0-1-0 Big Ten) will be on television facing either second-ranked Ferris State or the nation's leading goalscorer in RPI's Ryan Haggerty.
There have been plenty of reminders this season about college hockey and its television coverage. Having a possible #1 versus #2 matchup not be televised would add to it because in several other sports the potential itself would get over-hyped coverage (i.e. Minnesota is without its head coach and two players). BTN, already airing 34 Big Ten games this season, picking up this game at the very least is a step in the right direction.
Friday's Mariucci Classic opener against Colgate will be televised by Fox Sports North. Additionally, the two games not featuring Minnesota will be streamed online at gophersports.com.
- Gophers Hockey: Minnesota is keeping an eye on teammates abroad
- 2014 World Juniors: Reviewing Team USA's Performance
- 2014 World Juniors: Special Teams Cost United States in Quarterfinal Loss to Russia
- Big Ten Hockey: Michigan State's Jake Hildebrand tops the final 3 Stars of 2013
- College Hockey Rankings: Michigan Falls Hard; Gophers/Bulldogs On Top
Nathan Wells is a college hockey columnist for SB Nation and College Hockey News. You can also follow him on Twitter -- Follow @gopherstate