The ranking was determined by dividing the points scored last season by the points of the players returning to find the percentage of offense returning for each team in the Atlantic Hockey Association.
Obviously this isn't the sole way to determine how a team's offense is going to produce this season. Players can improve from year-to-year or one player who graduated might have been more important than realized. The impact of the incoming freshmen isn't factored into these rankings. However, it does give a good representation of the returning talent on each team.
|Team||Pct. Points Returning||Pct. Goals Returning||2012-13 Off. Rank||Leading Returning Scorer|
|Bentley||88.6%||85.5%||5||Brett Gensler, Sr. (16-24--40)|
|Canisius||81.7%||80.5%||9||Kyle Gibbons, Sr. (21-22--43)|
|Mercyhurst||81.2%||77.3%||3||Matthew Zay, Jr. (13-26--39)|
|UCONN||79.6%||82.3%||8||Brant Harris, Sr. (15-16--31)|
|RIT||78.9%||73.8%||2||Matt Garbowsky, Jr. (11-22--33)|
|Army||78.6%||80.8%||12||Mac Lalor, Jr. (6-12--18)|
|Air Force||69.2%||65.8%||1||Cole Gunner, Jr. (7-22--29)|
|Robert Morris||67.6%||74.6%||4||Cody Wydo, Jr. (21-12--33)|
|Sacred Heart||66.9%||63.9%||11||Brian Sheehan, Jr. (11-17--28)|
|Niagara||65.1%||64.7%||6||Ryan Murphy, Sr. (15-21--36)|
|Holy Cross||59.8%||63.1%||7||Shayne Stockton, Sr. (13-15--28)|
|AIC||59.7%||60.2%||10||Jon Puskar, Sr. (12-12--24)|
- Bentley senior forward Brett Gensler scored more points per game last season than any other returning player in the AHA.
- Canisius senior forward Kyle Gibbons and Robert Morris junior forward Cody Wydo both tallied 21 goals last season, tops among returning players in the AHA.
- There are six seniors and six juniors who are their teams' leading returning scorer.
- Army junior Mac Lalor is the only defenseman who is his team's leading returning scorer. His 18 points also is the lowest point total of any of the leading returning scorers on AHA teams.
- The number of games each team played last season skews this statistic somewhat, but Mercyhurst (281), RIT (262), Bentley (257) and Canisius (246) are the top four teams in terms of how many points return from last season's team.
More from Western College Hockey Blog:
- Big 10 Hockey Preview: Ranking the Offenses by Returning Players
- WCHA Preview: Ranking the Offenses by Returning Players
- NCHC Preview: Ranking the Offenses by Returning Players
- Hockey East Preview: Ranking the Offenses by Returning Players
- ECAC Hockey: Ranking Teams By Returning Offensive Production
Jeff Cox is a hockey reporter for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.