Lowell, Mass. -- The River Hawks and the Fighting Irish will meet for the first time ever Friday night at Tsongas Arena for the first of two meetings between the schools this weekend. It also marks the first trip to the greater Boston area for Notre Dame since joining Hockey East.
This game should be a defensive battle between two teams who play a defense-first style of hockey. Notre Dame coach Jeff Jackson has long been known for his shutdown system. Both UML and Notre Dame will try to bottle up the neutral zone and force things wide in their own defensive ends.
Breaking Down the Matchup
|8-3-1, 2-1-1 Hockey East
|8-4-0, 2-1-0 Hockey East
|Goals Per Game
|Goals Against Per Game
|Power Play Percentage
|Penalty Kill Percentage
|Sam Herr (6-3--9)
|Adam Chapie (6-3--9)
|Steven Summerhays (2.93/.897)
|Connor Hellebuyck (1.89/.938)
More from SBN College Hockey:
- Hockey East Weekend Preview: Notre Dame, UMass-Lowell Clash; BU-North Dakota Meet in Nonconference Action
- Brian Billett Shows Vast Improvement in Goal for Boston College
- Junior Bruins Forward Chris Miller Commits to New Hampshire
- Gaudreau, Boston College Cruise Past Harvard, 5-1
- Hockey East Power Rankings: Providence, Boston College and Notre Dame Occupy Top Three Spots
- Where do UMass-Lowell and Notre Dame rank nationally?
Jeff Cox covers college and junior hockey, NCAA recruiting, NHL Draft prospects and the AHL for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.