With Miami's Ryan McKay playing as a human-wall in net, the Redhawks earn a split with North Dakota in the first NCHC conference battle in the history of the new league.
After falling to North Dakota 4-2 on Friday night, Miami switched a few things up, most noticeably their netminder, and responded with an impressive win and earning a split in the first weekend of conference play.
Miami, who held a 5-0 lead until late in the second period, received goals from Cody Murphy, Riley Barber, and a hat trick from Blake Coleman all before North Dakota's Colten St. Clair could add a tally to the scoreboard for his own team.
Gage Ausmus earned his first point of his collegiate career, scoring a period after St. Clair, but Miami captain Austin Czarnik scored the final goal of the night, which happened to put the Redhawks in front of North Dakota, 6-2.
North Dakota has next weekend off, but hosts St. Cloud State following the break, while Miami travels to Providence College next weekend.
1st Period - MU (2:24) Cody Murphy from Chris Joyaux and Taylor Richart
1st Period - MU (15:02) Blake Coleman
2nd Period - MU (3:40) Riley Barber from Sean Kuraly and Kevin Morris
2nd Period - MU (5:37) Blake Coleman from Jimmy Mullin and Devin Loe
2nd Period - MU (5:51) Blake Coleman from Jimmy Mullin and Devin Loe
2nd Period - UND (16:09) Colten St. Clair from Staphane Pattyn
3rd Period - UND (6:05) Gage Ausmus from Luke Johnson and Michael Parks
3rd Period - MU (10:44) Austin Czarnik from Cody Murphy
- Miami's Blake Coleman scored three goals within 11 minutes of play (between periods, of course).
- Redhawks outshot North Dakota 40-36 by the final buzzer.
- North Dakota's Zane Gothberg saved 11 of the 17 shots faced.
- Miami's Cody Murphy (1g,1a), Jimmy Mullin (2a), Devin Loe (2a), and Blake Coleman (3g) all had multi-point nights.
- Redhawks netminder Ryan McKay stopped 34 shots, this was his first NCHC game debut.
- Both teams failed to scored on the power play (UND 5, MU 4).
Give SB Nation College Hockey a follow here -> Follow @sbncollegepuck
Matt Christians covers Minnesota Duluth and the NCHC for SB Nation and College Hockey News. You can also give him a follow on Twitter -> Follow @matt_christians