Boston, Mass. -- Northeastern upset UMass Lowell, 4-1, on saturday afternoon at Fenway Park to move into a tie for second place in Hockey East with Providence College who the Huskies defeated, 2-1, in overtime earlier this week.
Braden Pimm scored twice and Josh Manson and Matt Benning added special teams goals for Jim Madigan's team. Freshman Mike Szmatula had two assists and Braden Pimm made 47 saves for the victory. The Huskies improved to 13-6-3 on the season.
Pimm, Witt lead Northeastern past UMass Lowell
Braden Pimm scored twice and Josh Manson and Matt Benning added special teams goals as Northeastern cruised to a 4-1 victory over UMass Lowell Saturday, Jan. 11 at Fenway Park in Boston, Mass. The Huskies improved to 13-6-3 on the season.
Saturday was the sixth conference win of the season for the Huskies, eclipsing their total of five from last season's last place finish.
The game was the third in a two-weekend series of Hockey East games at Boston's beloved baseball stadium. Providence and Merrimack skated to a 1-1 tie in the first game last weekend followed by Boston College edging rival Notre Dame, 4-3.
In the second game on Saturday Maine defeated Boston University, 7-3. The Black Bears jumped out to a 5-0 lead with goals coming on each side of an hour-plus rain delay. The game was stopped due to flooding on the ice as well as a lightning storm.
Maine moved into fourth place with the victory while Boston University continues to struggle on the season and finds itself near the bottom of the standings with Merrimack and Massachusetts.
Professional photographer Matt Dewkett was at Fenway Park shooting the games for SBNation. The gallery below is a sample of some of his work. Dewkett, based out of Connecticut, is available for sporting events and other photographic needs.
All photos are copyright of Matt Dewkett Photography and are not intended for redistribution or any other copyright infringement.
- Frozen Fenway: Pimm, Witt lead Northeastern past UMass Lowell
- Frozen Fenway: Northeastern's freshmen step up on a big stage
- Frozen Fenway pregame: UMass Lowell, Northeastern Line Charts
- Frozen Fenway Photo Gallery: Boston University vs. Maine (Matt Dewkett)
- Frozen Fenway: Playing outdoors came easy for Devin Shore
- Frozen Fenway: Maine dominates BU out of rain delay, moves into fourth in Hockey East
- Frozen Fenway Rain/Lightning Delay: Maine up 1-0 in first period
- Top line helps Boston College blow by Providence