Potsdam, NY -- Clarkson scored three times in the third period to continue its recent dominance over archrival St. Lawrence. The Golden Knights defeated their foes from just down the road, 5-3, on Friday night at a sold-out Cheel Arena.
Five different players scored a goal for Casey Jones' team. T.J. Moor and Simone Bessette scored in the first period as the two teams each traded a pair of goals in the first 20 minutes.
Trailing 3-2 heading into the final period, Clarkson scored three times, including tallies by Jarrett Burton, Jeff DiNallo and Troy Josephs, to take a 5-3 lead. The Saints would add a goal to make it interesting, but couldn't get the equalizer past Clarkson goaltender Greg Lewis who made 17 saves.
Matt Carey had two goals and an assist while his older brother Greg had three helpers in the losing effort. Jeremy Wick also had two scores for Greg Carvel's Saints. Matt Weninger stopped 18 of the 23 shots he faced.
The two teams will meet again in the series finale on Saturday night at Appleton Arena in Canton.
- College Hockey Scores: Friday Night Recaps
- College Hockey: Boston College offense too much for Wildcats
- Big Ten Hockey: Michigan State beats Minnesota 3-2 in shootout
- Merrimack Wins First Hockey East Game of Season Over Boston University, 3-2
- Brett Gensler Sets Bentley Record in 4-1 Win Over RMU
- ECAC Hockey: Quinnipiac Faces Tough Test With Road Trip to RPI, Union
- Hockey East: Northeastern Hosts Providence, Boston College Looks to Bounce Back Against UNH
Jeff Cox covers college and junior hockey, NCAA recruiting, NHL Draft prospects and the AHL for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.