Victoria Honda Midget U16 prospect Alex DeBrincat has committed to UMass-Amherst for the 2016-17 season. The Farmington Hills, Mich. native caught the eye of our own Chris Dilks at the Midget Tier I AAA Playoffs this past spring. "Really tiny, but an effective waterbug-type scorer," is how Dilks described DeBrincat.
DeBrincat was drafted in the second round, 27th overall, by the Waterloo Blackhawks in the USHL Futures Draft this past spring. DeBrincat hails from the same hometown in Michigan as current UMass defenseman Adam Phillips. It is expected the small, but crafty forward will spend at least two years, but probably three in the USHL before heading to UMass as he is a late 1997.
DeBrincat had a real strong performance at last month's USA Hockey Select-16 Festival. The five-foot-seven forward had two three-point games, including a hattrick. He concluded the festival with five goals and two assists in six games played.
More from Western College Hockey Blog:
- Quinnipiac recruit Chase Harwell signs with QMJHL's Sherbrooke Phoenix
- NTDP Defenseman Charlie McAvoy Commits to Boston University
- Culver Military Academy Forward Karch Bachman commits to Miami
- Danny Lopez reopens recruitment after de-committing from Harvard
- UMass Hockey Welcomes Change to Mullins Center
Jeff Cox is a hockey reporter for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.