West Springfield, Mass. -- American International could not get the puck past Air Force backup goaltender Paul Moberg for the first 50 minutes of the game, but the Yellow Jackets found the back of the net four times in the last 10:21 of the hockey game to pick up a 4-3 overtime victory over the Falcons.
Air Force, playing its first game without injured senior goaltender Jason Torf, had a commanding 2-0 lead after two periods, but could not hold on.
Chris Porter, David Norris and Jake Williams scored goals in the third period to force overtime. The last goal with 15 seconds to play in regulation scored by Williams came on the power play with the goaltender pulled for an extra attacker.
Alexander MacMillan scored his ninth goal of the season 59 seconds into the extra session to send the home fans away happy.
Max Hartner, A.J. Reid and Chad Demers scored goals for the Falcons who have been hit hard by unlucky breaks this season.
The two teams meet again Saturday night in the series finale at the Olympia in West Springfield.
- College Hockey Scores: Friday Night Roundup
- Mariucci Classic: Ferris State defeats RPI 6-2 to win first semifinal
- Atlantic Hockey: Bentley Hosts Niagara as Falcons Look to Keep Rolling
- Maine Faces Tough Task on Road at Quinnipiac
- Gophers Hockey: Previewing the Mariucci Classic
- Friday Night College Hockey Television Schedule: January 3rd, 2014
- Around Hockey East: Vermont Continues Hot Play Capturing Catamount Cup
Jeff Cox covers college, junior and high school hockey, NCAA recruiting, NHL Draft prospects and the AHL for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.