CINCINNATI -- Providence College alum Nick Mazzolini scored the game-winning goal on the power play with 23 seconds to play in the first period to lift the Alaska Aces to a 4-0 win over the Cincinnati Cyclones and a 4-2 series victory to earn the 2014 ECHL Kelly Cup.
Mazzolini was one many former college hockey players who had a significant contribution on the 2014 ECHL Kelly Cup final series. Mazzolini, a Friar from 2005-2009, led the Aces in scoring during the postseason. The Anchorage native had 10 goals and 19 assists in 20 games played.
Former Vermont goaltender Rob Madore was named the playoff MVP for his role in backstopping the Cyclones all the way to the final. Another former Catamount, defenseman Drew MacKenzie, scored a second period goal to make it 2-0 Aces.
Complete list of NCAA alums on Kelly Cup-winning Alaska Aces:
- Nick Mazzolini (Providence, 2005-2009)
- Brendan Connolly (Ferris State, 2005-2009)
- Evan Trupp (North Dakota, 2007-2011)
- John Ramage (Wisconsin, 2009-2013)
- Kane Lafranchise (Alaska-Anchorage, 2007-2010)
- Drew MacKenzie (Vermont, 2008-2012)
- Tom Mele (American International, 2007-2011)
- Zach Davies (Quinnipiac, 2009-2013)
- Zach McKelvie (Army, 2005-2009)
- Brad Richard (Hobart College, 2009-2013)
- Andy Taranto (Alaska-Fairbanks, 2009-2013)
Jeff Cox covers college, junior and high school hockey, NCAA recruiting and NHL Draft prospects. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSports.