BOSTON -- The 62nd Annual Beanpot kicks off Monday night at the TD Garden and the other three teams will all be gunning for Boston College. The Eagles have dominated the tournament lately, winning the last four and seven since 2001. Boston University, BC's semifinal opponent, has been the other dominant school, winning 29 times, including 12 times over the past two decades.
Harvard hasn't won a Beanpot title since 1993 while Northeastern's drought in the Beanpot extends to 1988. The Crimson and the Huskies will face off in the first semifinal at 5 p.m.
"It's special in the sense that we haven't won this tournament in a long time. This tournament is not based on record. This tournament is special because any team can win it," said NU head coach Jim Madigan. "This university is long overdue to win it. It will take 25 years off our shoulders," joked the former Huskies defenseman.
|Harvard||Northeastern||Boston University||Boston College|
|Goals Per Game||2.50 (45th)||3.27 (12th)||2.48 (47th)||4.38 (1st)|
|Goals Against Per Game||2.80 (35th)||2.58 (22nd)||3.40 (51st)||2.23 (7th)|
|Power Play Percentage||14.50 (48th)||18.0 (36th)||19.5 (23rd)||19.6 (21st)|
|Penalty Kill Percentage||88.3 (4th)||81.6 (29th)||82.9 (23rd)||90.8 (1st)|
|Head Coach||Ted Donato||Jim Madigan||David Quinn||Jerry York|
|Projected Starting Goaltender||Raphael Girard||Clay Witt||Matt O'Connor||Thatcher Demko|
|Scoring Leader||Jimmy Vesey (17)||Kevin Roy (31)||Oksanen (19)||Johnny Gaudreau (51)|
|Goal Scoring Leader||Jimmy Vesey (11)||Braden Pimm (15)||Hohmann/O'Regan (8)||Johnny Gaudreau (23)|
|Assists Leader||Sean Malone (9)||Mike Szmatula (18)||Oksanen (14)||Arnold/Gaudreau (28)|
|NHL Draft Picks||8||4||7||10|
- Beanpot alums in the NHL: Boston College leads the way with 23
- Beanpot 2014: Harvard, Northeastern meet for chance to end years of misery
- Beanpot Preview: Heavy favorite Boston College faces archrival Boston University in second semifinal
- Beanpot schedule and television information
- Beanpot preview: Players turned coaches provide a look into tournaments past
- Malden Catholic forward Matt Filipe commits to Northeastern
- Thatcher Demko, Boston College shut out Providence
- Willows' shorthanded goal helps push UNH past Notre Dame
Jeff Cox covers college, junior and high school hockey, NCAA recruiting and NHL Draft prospects for SBNation. Follow him on twitter @JeffCoxSBNation.