Now that the World Juniors are over, it's the unofficial midway point of the draft year, which seems like a good time to post an update to the draft list I've been keeping throughout the year. As always, I limit this list to players that I've seen play in person(or on TV, for a few players in the first round), and felt comfortable enough to rank. So there's obviously a lot of good players missing. This is just how I'd have these particular players ranked.
To give you some idea of where I see this group fitting into the grand scheme of things, I think the top 11 to 12 guys are first round picks. The last ten or so on the list are probably 7th round/undrafted territory.
Also, as a reminder, you can follow all of our 2013 NHL Draft coverage here.
1. Nathan MacKinnon-F- Halifax(QMJHL)- Some have soured on MacKinnon a bit after an unspectacular World Juniors tournament, but I still think he's the most complete forward available in the draft and will be a great NHL player some day.
2. Seth Jones-D- Portland(WHL)- I thought Jones was fantastic at the WJCs. I'd almost never advocate taking a D at #1 over a potential franchise forward, but Jones is good enough to at least make me reconsider that position.
3. Jonathan Drouin-F-Halifax(QMJHL)- I've seen a few people suggest he could pass MacKinnon by June. I'll still take MacKinnon because I don't think Drouin's game has the dimensions that MacKinnon's does, but Drouin does have the type of offensive skill that is very difficult to find.
4. Hunter Shinkaruk-F-Medicine Hat- Saw him play in the Subway Series and was incredibly impressed. He's a pure sniper and plays with a high motor.
5. Nikita Zadorov-D-London(OHL)- He's a legit 6'5" and uses that size and skating to cover a tremendous amount of ice. Potentially a shutdown type defenseman.
6. Darnell Nurse-D- Sault Ste. Marie(OHL)- All the physical tools, and this year he's starting to put it all together, showing the upward development trajectory that teams love.
7. Morgan Klimchuk-F-Regina(WHL)- I really like Klimchuk's ability to create offense with his quickness and agility. A bit of a boom or bust type, but you can't find scoring ability like his outside of the first round.
8. Max Domi-F-London(OHL)- Great hands, and a little bowling ball frame that should keep his lack of size from being too much of an issue.
9. Ian McCoshen-D - Waterloo(USHL)- I've always been high on McCoshen. Big and moves well.
10. JT Compher- F-NTDP U18- Strong skater that makes plays all over the ice
11. Adam Erne- F-Quebec(QMJHL)- Erne was a kid I thought would fade in his draft year, but he just keeps making plays.
12. Connor Hurley-F- Edina(MN HS)- Great skater, and amazing passer.
13. Steve Santini-D- NTDP U18- Not flashy, but solid and dependable.
14. Gabe Guertler-F- Fargo (USHL)- I have Guertler a lot higher than nearly everyone else. He's having a great year, putting up lots of offense, and I love the grit he plays with.
15. Taylor Cammarata-F-Waterloo(USHL)- Lots of risk, but potentially lots of reward.
16. Hudson Fasching- F-NTDP U18- Not having a great year, but he's showed flashes of his enormous potential. His skating and agility makes him a pretty safe pick even if he doesn't develop into a big time scorer.
17. Michael Downing-D- Dubuque(USHL)- A really dependable defensive defenseman
18. Bo Horvat-F-London(OHL)- A good center that can play in any situation
19. Luke Johnson-F- Lincoln(USHL)- A slow start to the year, but he's picked up his scoring, and has the skating ability to play at the next level.
20. Brett Pesce-D- University of New Hampshire(Hockey East)- A quiet year, but he's playing every night for one of the best NCAA teams in the country.
21.Tommy Vannelli-D- Minnetonka (MN HS)
22. Keaton Thompson-D- NTDP U18
23. Tyler Motte-F-NTDP U18
25. Blake Heinrich-D-Sioux City(USHL)
26. Ryan Hartman-F- Plymouth(OHL)
27. Zach Glienke-F- Eagan (MN HS)
28. Michael Brodzinski-D- Muskegon(USHL)
29. Teemu Kivihalme-D-Burnsville(MN HS)
30. Ross Olsson-F- Lincoln(USHL)
31. Vinni Lettieri-F- Lincoln(USHL)
32. Evan Allen-F- NTDP U18
33. Frederik Tiffels-F- Muskegon(USHL)
34. Jordan Gross-D- Green Bay(USHL)
35. Gage Ausmus-D- NTDP U18
36. Zack Pittman-D- Lincoln(USHL)
37. Anthony Louis-F- NTDP U18
38. Will Butcher-D- NTDP U18
39. Jake Guentzel-F--Sioux City(USHL)
40. Kalle Kossila-St. Cloud
41. Ryan Siroky-F-Green Bay(USHL)
42. Avery Peterson-F- Grand Rapids(MN HS)
43. Tyler Kelleher-F- NTDP U18
44. Parker Reno-D- Edina(MN HS)
45. Andrew Oglevie-F- Cedar Rapids(USHL)
46. Jake Zeleznikar-D- Hermantown(MN HS)
47. Austin Farley-F-Minnesota-Duluth
48. Cory Ward-F-Bemidji State
49. Ben Storm-D-Muskegon(USHL)
50. Remi Elie-F-London(OHL)